Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ground Hog Day

An unusual title for the first day of blogging, will explain in a bit. Just to start off, Mike has a project job here in Toronto and for the first time ever I am joining him. Also Tasha has joined us so its the 3 amigo's in a new country, which for a Mother and daughter who've never lived outside Reading is quite an achievement!  Mike has been here since October, but we all flew in Monday together.
DAY 1 -  I CANT GO! WHAT AM I DOING!!! deep deep panic has befallen me. I've been crying for 2 days and in the taxi a text comes in from Sam and starts me off again. I manage to get to the flight but despite all the warnings start drinking heavily more or less as soon as were airborne. My heart is breaking at leaving my Grandchildren Layla and Harvey, I know its only for 7 months but even so why am I even going for longer than 7 days. We land at Toronto where British Airways appears to be glad to see the back of me.   The first thing that happened is that we were stopped at immigration (bet the BA staff had a hand in that), I was imagining all sorts of horrors would befall Tash and I but they were very nice. Mike took us with great trepidation to the apartment, he was nervous as he picked this by himself always a risky business, but hey the apartment is fab! Looks onto Lake Ontario to the left and CN Tower on the right.  Its awesome just sitting up here watching the boats. Mike then takes us to his fav Sports Bar which is actually pretty good. Jet Lag descends and its game over
DAY 2 Tash unpacked a stupid amount of clothing, then Starbucks. Whilst there what should catch my eye but a winery shop! How cool is that! So we had to visit it brought 2 bottles of Canadian wine from a very very laid back jazz kind of chap. Not had them yet, largely due to Mike not being over the jet lag. We then found LONGOS - OMG!! Its like the Waitrose of Toronto Tash and I keep finding excuses to go visit it, yes that's how sad we are.....
DAY 3 Have discovered the Morning Show on Channel 211 they are brilliant its the best morning show I've ever seen, largely due to the white haired chap and blond lady. If it weren't for the adverts I'm sure I would know their names by now but sadly I don't. Anyhow,  Enuf of Jet-Lag....shopping beckons, in my world its taxi everything, but Tasha is on a mission to get me fitter so we have to walk. Its not hard, she's starting from zero!  I think we must have walked at least 45 miles because I was seeing double by the end of the day. Still found a great shopping mall Eaton Square and had a superb lunch in Trattoria which if you ever get the chance to go is a must. Tash had the best Pear, Gorgonzola and Walnut salad she's ever had. We then got our nails Shellaced, horrible salon do not recommend it, I was lucky I had the only lovely lady in there the rest were ghastly - do not go!
DAY 4 - GROUND HOG DAY! Well for a tourist this is possibly one of the most strangest things that could ever be shown on TV. Apparently the Groundhog looks like an Otter and is held by a man in a black suit with a top hat, the Groundhog at 8.05 comes out of some straw and predicts the years weather and the end of winter. Nobody seems to notice that the Groundhog cannot talk and this is witnessed by thousands of Canadians wearing fur noses!! I've never seen anything so funny in all my life!!! Its not just us the Morning show crew are just as bemused and the white haired guy is pretty sure the people on stage listening to the hog are drunken left overs from a 1970' wedding!! As you can imagine it takes Tash and I a while to recover to get ready to go out, but we do eventually manage it. Today is Toronto University - we find out that tours are 11 and 2pm daily but as we are 11.20 we missed it so are going back. We then walk to the Theatre district and purchase tickets for Sleeping Beauty Ballet and The Warhorse. We then walk down underground on the Toronto PATH, I wrongly assumed it would be a load of dreadful shops along the way but its not its brilliant and it also solves the mystery for Tash and just as to just where the hell all the Torontonians were!! Of course Shimples they would be underground as at -4 its pretty cold. A quick cheekey trip to Longos then were back at the apartment, where I had the idea of the blog so that I could record daily what I do so that I can bore my grandchildren to death with stories. If I didn't write it down sadly I would forget most of it, which it 51 is sad but true!!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!!!

    Glad to see you already have the important things down to a fine art, drink and shopping!!! What else can 2 girls do in a strange land......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having a good time then!! Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete