Wednesday, February 8, 2012

6th/7th February 2012

Thought it would be better to put the last two days together. At the weekend Mike, Tasha and I did our first look for houses as all of us were getting quite worried. It should be said that Tasha came along in the hope that we didn't find anything and would have to stay in Toronto!! Anyway as said before we liked Oakville the best, we found an estate agent with clearly the early onset of Alzheimer's although she was a complete sweety she kept forgetting why we were there. Tasha eventually had that stupefied look (like the fish in Nemo or all of our family when Tasha is telling a story) so suffice to say I recognised the look! Our only ray of light is that we were advised that Bill would be our representative.... Hurrah! Mike and I met Bill who turns out to be our friends husband, he's approx. 120 years old and is also an extreme sweety. Mike and I were with him for an extremely painful 2 hours as all paperwork has to be signed before an offer can even be made. Mike and I come away rather unconfident to say the least, yesterday the offer starts and quite frankly its all completely over my head. I cannot tell you if we have the house or not as I genuainly dont know I think we may know at the end of the week! To say its nerve wracking is an understatement, the reason I say this is that this is the only furnished house we have found because although all the houses are photographed with furniture in the Canadians like houses to be completely empty! The realtor had a huge list of houses but when we said our criteria the list went down to 1.

Mine and (long suffering) Tasha's explorations have been as follows.....

Soup Nutsy is the most fabbest place on earth and has the most fantastic range of soups. I have the Lobster one which is enjoyed equally by me and my jumper! University of Ontario - we walk, I say WALK all the way to it, its got to be at least 12 miles, but Tasha informs me she's not altogether sure if its even 1 mile, clearly her perspective on distances is somewhat flawed. She is also not sure about the tour at all as she thinks it is like a tour if you were thinking of applying to the Uni. The tour is 2pm, We arrive early which is great as I need to lie down on the sofa to get any oxygen back into my body and wipe the sweat from my brow. We are joined by a nervous mother and daughter from Korea - can I just clarify that we have nothing to base Korea on, Tasha has come out with this random statement and I am still so oxygen deprived I cannot be bothered to argue the point. Anyhow, Laura is our very pretty guide who walks at at alarming pace and quickly reintroduces herself with a huge list of qualifications, Tasha gives me that warning knowing look that she's right! Laura then races us onto a tour of the classrooms (odd me thinks) and is advising that the next 1.5 hours will be visiting all the different houses! There is nothing else for it, I have to fess up to Laura that we are on the wrong tour! I thought it would be like a tour of Oxford or Trinity where its a quick 30 mins jobbi and you are shown the architecture. Laura looks as bemused as long suffering Tasha and informs me these tours are held in the summer. We leave with the Koreans just staring at us not understanding what is going on. We get a taxi back to the hallowed Longos to cheer me up! I also offer Tasha $1,000 not to tell Mike as anyone who know him, knows what he is like with this kind of information. :(

We frequent Bloor Street which is where all the beautiful shops are, Holts is the place to be and is owned by the same family that own Selfridges and Brown Thomas in Dublin - so you get the idea. We have lunch at La Societe its is gorgeous and is just like a Parisian Bistro. www.lasociete.ca we have a fab waiter called Daniel. The Hazelnut Log is THE best thing on earth and I don't care whether the chef if male or female I'm marrying them!! Tasha and I are on such a high but Tasha's high is about to go stratospheric! What shop should meet us next but Cartier where Tasha nearly passes out at The Ring this is about a 2 carat diamond flanked by two emerald diamonds, she just stares with her mouth hanging open, eventually after intense negotiations and the promise of chocolate we move on and go and see The Artist, this is a silent movie and is excellent. Tashs didn't realise it was a silent movie and is trying her very best in this cyber noise filled age to do her best, but there was a lot of thrashing about in the seat, but it was the look on her face that still makes me burst out laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment